Columbia, SC Lawyer with Real-World Experience
Dick Unger has more than 50 years of experience representing private, public, and institutional developers, purchasers, equity investors, and lenders. He counsels clients in the development, acquisition, financing, operation, sale, and leasing of all forms of commercial, industrial, and residential real estate, with a particular emphasis on the resort development industry.
Speaker & Author
He is a frequent speaker and author on real estate development topics. He has experience in:
- Land acquisition, development, financing, and operation of resort and mixed-use properties in the United States, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.
- Structuring and formation of homeowners’ associations and governing documents for numerous communities throughout South Carolina.
- Structuring and formation of investment entities.
- Negotiating marketing, management, franchise, development, construction, and design agreements.
- Structuring, timeshare registration, development, marketing and closing of whole and fractional residential ownership products, rental management programs, and resort clubs.
- Structuring, development, financing, and marketing of equestrian, golf and marina developments.
- Registering residential and resort communities and condominiums with the Office of Interstate Land Sales (OILS) of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and state regulatory agencies.
- Obtaining South Carolina securities commission exemptions for resort clubs.
- Negotiating commercial leases and shopping center transactions.
- Financing, development, and operation of hotels and related hospitality industry facilities.
- Obtaining state and local zoning and land use regulatory approvals.
- Contested Trusts and Estates; Estate Administration; Estate Planning; Business Organization.
- Title examination and title insurance claims and disputes.
- Real Estate and Title Law 101: Back to Basics; Chicago Title Annual Claims & Underwriting Seminar – November 09, 2017
- All You Never Wanted to Know About Easements, Restrictive Covenants, and How They Affect Your Subdivision; Home Builders Association of South Carolina’s 2017 Fall Convention – October 13, 2017
- Easements: Where Are They Now and Where Are They Going?; S.C. Bar Continuing Legal Education Division – February 21, 2017
- Charleston County Bar Features Dick Unger’s Book on Easements in Lawyer Accolades – February 22, 2017
- Evoking Easements in South Carolina. PLTA Convention – May 5, 2022.
- ACC Publication Features Article by Dick Unger – April 01, 2013
- Parker Poe’s Dick Unger Publishes Authoritative Book on Easements; First-of-Its-Kind Resource for Legal and Business Community to serve as coursebook for South Carolina Bar Continuing Legal Education Seminar – February 20, 2017
- Dick Unger to Speak at the Home Builders Association of South Carolina State Convention – October 15, 2015
- Dick Unger Appointed to Executive Committee of Charleston County Bar Association – March 20, 2013
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ in Real Estate; Commercial Real Estate; Hotel and Resort Development; Commercial Development; Residential Development; Zoning Law; Contested Trusts and Estates; Estate Administration; Estate Planning; Business Organization
- Palmetto Land Title Association J. Lee McDonald Award
- Charleston County Bar Association, Member; Former Member of the Executive Committee, Past Member
- South Carolina Bar House of Delegates, Ninth Judicial Circuit, Former Delegate; Fifth Judicial Circuit, Former Delegate
- South Carolina Bar, Real Estate Section and Probate & Estate Planning Secton
- Wounded In Action Family Foundation, Board of Directors Founding Member
- Palmetto Land Title Association (PLTA), Past Director
- Coastal Carolina National Bank, Former Advisory Board Member
- Charleston Trident Association of REALTORS®, Commercial Investment Division Former Member
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Former Member of
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce Former Member
- Community Association Institute, Former Member of
- Home Builders Association of Greater Columbia
- Home Builders Association of South Carolina
- National Home Builders Association
Get In Touch
700 Huger Street, Suite 102
Columbia, SC 29201
406-A East Butler Road
Mauldin, SC 29662
925 E. Main St., Unit A
Lexington, SC 29072-4202
708 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 3
Camden, SC 29020
189 S. Converse Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306