Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist in Columbia, SC
As a Certified Labor and Employment Specialist, Kris provides day-to-day assistance to employers dealing with employment-related issued such as contracts, wage/hour issues, affirmative action, union avoidance and campaigns, employment contracts and non-competes, employment discrimination, unemployment compensation, and the FMLA. She conducts supervisory training on all these topics.
South Carolina Employment Law Defense Attorney
Kris has defended employers before state and federal agencies such as the U.S. Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Justice, Homeland Security, South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, South Carolina Human Affairs Commission, OSHA and the Department of Employment and Work Force. She has conducted countless seminars for businesses, trade associations and employer groups on all aspects of labor and employment law. In addition to assisting and defending private uninsured employers, she represents insurance carriers in defense of their insureds on employment litigation.
Former Human Resources (HR) Representative
Kris has a practical, real-world background in human resources. Before attending law school, Kris worked in Human Resources for Westinghouse Electric Corporation for eight years.
- University of South Carolina, J.D.,1990
- University of Georgia, B.A., 1979
- South Carolina Bar Association
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina, 1990
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1993
- United States Supreme Court, 1994
- Richland County Bar Association
- Lexington County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Certified Civil Court Mediator
- Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Babcock Center – 2014-2016
- Captain, South Carolina State Guard, Judge Advocate General Corps.
- South Carolina Economic Developers Association – 2000-2011
- Committee of 100 – 2004-2012
- Greenwood County Chamber of Commerce – 2000-2007
- Palmetto Center for Women – Member, Board of Directors – 2006-2016
- Family Service Center of South Carolina – 1st Vice Chair – 2009-2012
- Best Lawyers in America – 2013-2016
- South Carolina Super Lawyer – 2009-2016
- Great Columbia Business Monthly’s “Midlands’ Legal Elite” – 2009-2016