Columbia Real Estate Lawyer Devoted to the Community
Although Rex Casterline was born and raised outside of Washington, D.C., he considers Irmo, South Carolina to be his true home. His grandfather and grandmother made a commitment to greater Columbia as superintendent of the Lake Murray Dam during construction and owner/operator of a small country store at the Dam. The commitment ran deep as Rex’s grandfather served on the Board of Trustees of what is now School District Five of Lexington and Richland Counties and encouraged his son to pursue a college education despite being hearing-impaired. Rex lives out his father’s similar passion for education and being deeply rooted in the community.
After moving to Irmo in 1986, Rex Casterline immediately became involved in youth ministry as a teacher and youth leader at the local and state level. Rex and his wife Renae are actively involved in the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church at the synod level, through Bonclarken Conference Center, service on Synod Committees and Erskine College, and locally at Centennial ARP Church in Columbia. In addition to being a “retired” youth leader and former deacon, Rex is an elder, teacher, and soup kitchen team leader.
Rex is active in fundraising for charities for the disadvantaged including Habitat for Humanity, Oliver Gospel Mission, and Harvest Hope Food Bank.
Seasoned Columbia, SC Real Estate Attorney
Rex is a seasoned real estate lawyer serving residential and commercial clients, as well as builders and developers. Rex has represented thousands of purchasers, sellers, and lenders. His individual client services include contract negotiation, preparation or review; preparation of loan-related documents; business counseling; real estate litigation; and simple estate planning.
The South Carolina Supreme Court-appointed Rex to be an Attorney to Assist (ATA) the Office of Disciplinary Counsel in investigating lawyers who have been grieved by clients, opposing parties, fellow lawyers, or judges. Former Gov. (now Ambassador) Nikki Haley also asked the Senate in 2013 to confirm the appointment of Rex as a public member of the South Carolina Real Estate Appraisers Board, which regulates real estate appraisers and promotes legislation and regulations that enhance the appraisal industry and protects the citizens of the Palmetto State.
Rex Casterline is licensed by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation to teach continuing education classes. Rex focuses his teaching to real estate agents on contract law, ethics and responsibility, and probate administration. He also teaches classes to real estate licensees, mortgage lenders, real estate lawyers, and title insurance agents on real estate title issues, homeowners’ associations, like-kind tax exchanges, and alternative financing.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1994
- Lenoir-Rhyne University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1985
Associations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Palmetto Land Title Association
- Central Carolina Realtors Association
- Mortgage Lenders Association of Greater Columbia
- Building Industry Association of Central South Carolina
- Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
- First American National Title Insurance Company
- Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- Stewart Title Guaranty Insurance Company
- WFG National Title Insurance Company
Awards & Recognitions
- 2017 Attorney of the Year by Readers of The State Newspaper
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Judge’s Choice” REGAL Award, Sales & Marketing Council, Home Builders Association of Greater Columbia, 2013
- Legal Elite of the Midlands (Columbia Business Monthly), 2011
- Corporate Member of the Year, Home Builders Association of Greater Columbia, 2010
- Phi Beta Kappa Gold Key Award, Lenoir-Rhyne University, 1985
- Voted The State Newspaper’s Best Attorney 2017
- Member, South Carolina Real Estate Appraisers Board
- Member, Board of Trustees, Erskine College & Theological Seminary
- Soup Kitchen Team Manager, Oliver Gospel Mission
- Clerk/Elder/Teacher, Centennial Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, Columbia, SC
- President/Director of 500+ member homeowners’ association (2007-2010)
- Youth mentor to middle school, high school and college students
- Salkehatchie Summer Missions
Get In Touch
Columbia, SC 29201
406-A East Butler Road
Mauldin, SC 29662
945 East Main Street
Lexington, SC 29072